Thursday, March 5, 2015

what you should be watching

In case you happen to have quite a bit of time on your hands, or if you're like me and are delaying working on your dissertation by any means possible, here's some great shows (in no particular order), both currently on TV or available for a week-long binge on Netflix.


1. Parks and Recreation


This show, starring Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Rob Lowe, and most importantly, Chris Pratt, follows a group of government employees working for the Parks and Recreation department in small town Pawnee, IN. It is everything beautiful and wonderful in this world. Poehler's Leslie Knope is charming and so upbeat its almost painful, but when she does get real, its always hilarious. My favorite character is absolutely Pratt's Andy Dwyer: lovable, rockstar, wonderfully dim, and married to the manifestation of all of our inner voices, April Ludgate (played by Aubrey Plaza). Unfortunately this show just had its series finale, but seasons 1-6 are available on Netflix!

2. The Mindy Project


For those of you that have been living in a cave recently, allow me to introduce you to a woman who will soon be our new world leader: Mindy Kaling. There are literally not enough good things I could say about this show - and I could gush about it for days on end. Kaling (who started off as a writer on the US remake of the Office and was added onto the show as Kelly Kapoor) writes and stars in the Mindy Project, which details the hilarious life of OBGYN Mindy Lahiri. Her outrageous dating life aside (so many amazing guest stars: Timothy Olyphant, BJ Novak, Seth Meyers, Mark Duplass, Tim Daly, my personal favorite Anders Holm, and current love Chris Messina), Mindy's one-liners make me want to go to medical school so I can go work with her and be her best friend. She is unapologetic about her love for ridiculous (-ly bad) television, bright colored clothes, junk food, and pop music while smashing down stereotypes that smart, strong women can't enjoy the finer things in life! Basically, she's everything I want to be. And anyone who loves hilarious kickass women should also check out her book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns), which can be found here and don't miss the Mindy Project airing on Fox Tuesdays at 9:30/8:30c.

3. Glee


I accept no judgment for this!! I will admit that this show does not have wonderful story lines or dazzling witty dialogue, but the songs are actually amazing (I may or may not have a Glee playlist on my iPhone), the characters are lovable, if underdeveloped, and Jane Lynch is a national treasure. This is definitely my guilty pleasure, but I've decided to just own it. Although I haven't watched every episode (I'm a season away from when Cory Monteith died and I just don't think I can handle it emotionally), I would still recommend it if you just want to listen to some awesome music and not have to pay much attention to anything else. This is another series that just had its finale, but the first four seasons are on Netflix and rumor has it that season 5 will be up soon.

4. Sleepy Hollow


Can I just start by saying that even if you don't like inaccurate history or time travel or demon hunting or the outrageous retelling of a classic story, Tom Mison's face should be enough to watch this show. It could honestly be just a show of Mison's Ichabod Crane adapting to the 21st century and sassy Lieutenant Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie) and I would still tune in every week. The stories can be incredibly far-flung, even for a fantasy show, but the chemistry between Crane and Mills is outstanding and Orlando Jones (Captain Frank Irving) is runner-up to Mindy Kaling in my vote for new world leader. You can catch Sleepy Hollow on Fox Mondays at 9/8c. 

5. The Supersizers Go...


The Supersizers Go... was a BBC mini-series that aired in 2008 and 2009. It started off with a one-off show on Edwardian eating habits which can be watched on YouTube, but was so popular that they made a bunch more episodes. Writer and food critic Giles Coren and comedienne and all around magnificent human Sue Perkins take a week of their lives to eat and live according to an era in (mostly) British history:
RomanMedievalElizabethanRestoration, French RevolutionRegencyVictorian1920sWorld War II1950s1970s, and 1980s
It is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Unfortunately, no new episodes have aired in years and I don't think they're planning on making anymore, but all of them are available on YouTube and on Hulu Plus (only the Edwardian episode isn't on Hulu).


Those are five of my suggestions, but a few more that are amazing, but I won't expand on are:

Qi (Stephen Fry is a god among men)

New Girl (so much better after the first season when Zooey Deschanel gets way less quirky)

Once Upon a Time (I did not think I was going to like this, and there have been some slow points in the plot, but it always picks back up. Also its basically Once Upon a Ton of Really Hot Guys)

Broad City (makes me want to move to New York and have a dysfunctional life)

Bones (still just as good 10 seasons in)

Playing House and Best Friends Forever (BFF got cancelled after one season which is a travesty, but real life besties Lennon Parham and Jessica St. Clair are two of my most favorite human beings ever)

Bob's Burgers (the only adult cartoon that is worth watching)

Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (God, I love him)

Parenthood (get ready for a lot of emotions and ugly crying)

Top Gear (UK only - the US version sucks)

Miranda (Miranda Hart is a living goddess)

In case you couldn't already tell, I have a major addiction to TV shows, and have decided to try and spread my disease. Enjoy!

images found hereherehereherehere

No comments:

Post a Comment