Monday, January 12, 2015

trip to bruges (finally)


A month ago, Jack and I took a trip to Bruges, Belgium with Jack's brother Sam and his girlfriend Hannah. It was a short trip, just a couple days (most of it spent on a ferry) but it was so much fun! I love getting to travel around Europe while I'm in England studying.

The view from the ferry as we (sloooowly) made our way into Zeebruges harbor.

Some photos from around the city. It was so gorgeous!





The view from the top of the Belfrey tower. That climb was rough.




Right outside our hotel.


Jan Van Eyck - my favorite northern European Renaissance painter. His attention to detail was astounding!





A random windmill in the city that I thought was adorable.


The winter market at night!


The Belfrey tower.


Sam and Hannah in front of the winter market.




This church has a relic holding some of Jesus' blood. Unfortunately they were using it in a ceremony later in the day so we didn't get to see it, but the church was absolutely gorgeous inside.


Madonna of Bruges by Michelangelo in the Church of Our Lady.


A sculpture outside the medieval hospital (which I was way too excited to visit).


Medieval apothecary museum.






This was seriously the best hot chocolate I've ever had. Not only was it massive - more like a large bowl than a mug - with hot milk and chocolate chips that you add in and whisk. I got milk chocolate (they have dark and white also) and a stick of cinnamon. I still dream about that hot chocolate...

It was such a fantastic trip! I'm so mad that I forgot to pack my camera, so all of these pictures are from my iPhone, but it was nice to just relax and have a couple days off with some great friends! I would love to go back to Bruges and get to spend more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment